Saturday, March 15, 2008

I'm not sure how I survived

Over the past year or so, I've been able to enrich my life in several ways. Some of them, I don't understand how I lived without for as long as I did.

High Definition Television

Ok, seriously, I don't like golf. I don't watch it. I have zero interest. The day I got my high def TV, I spent an hour watching golf. Just because it looked that good. Watching non high def tv now hurts my eyes.

DVR

Up until we got the new TV last May, we relied on a VCR to record programs we really wanted to see. Given how awful television is, and living for a year with a little tiny TV 2 floors away from the kitchen, we weren't recording much of anything. Now, I've discovered a host of great stuff. Anthony Bourdain's No Reservatons, The Office, and reruns of The Tick. I honestly fell off the sofa watching 'That Mustache Feeling'.

BJs Membership

So the local Safeway has been where I get my food for the better part of 7 years. It's always been OK, but expensive. This year, we joined BJs. Honestly, I think we've already saved the $45 membership fee in meat alone. The prices and selection are fantastic. If you are a lifter and eat like I eat, you need to belong to a place like this.

Sonos/Network Attached Storage/MediaMonkey/Sansa

Yes, I've posted about Sonos before, but I finally got all my music stored on my Buffalo Linkstation (500G) as FLAC (lossless) files. I then put a lot of it on my 8G Sansa MP3 player, after using MediaMonkey to convert the files to MP3s. I'm rediscovering things I haven't listened to in years, along with new stuff via internet radio (my latest love is Radio IO Blues). I have a great selection with me all the time, an at home, the music is limitless.

No comments: