Saturday, August 26, 2006

Little Italy Dinner and Movie

Last night was the last night of the season for the Little Italy movie festival. Movies are shown on the side of a building from a projector in a guy's house. One of those great Baltimore things. J and I went early to get dinner at Amiccis.

Since we were in a hurry, we didn't do the usual cocktails and then order - I just got a Peroni. I had a Ceasar salad (OK, we had a ceasar salad) to start, quite good. I had Penne Amicci, penne with sausage, mushrooms, garlic, and spinach. It was OK, but not fantastic. J had the House Gnocci, which was very good, in an excellent cream sauce with proscuitto, spinach, and roasted red peppers. Large servings, quick friendly service, and a really nice casual atmosphere. If you are looking for a quick bite to eat in Little Italy, and don't want to make reservations or dress for dinner, this is a good choice.

Wine would have been better with dinner. Amiccis does have a very limited wine list, but it befits their menu.

The movie was "Big Night", which was pretty good. We enjoyed ourselves.

(As an aside, the usual end of the season movie is "Cinema Paradiso", in Italian, with subtitles. We went a couple of years ago with my brother and his wife, who speaks Italian and had lived in Italy for a time... it's her favorite movie, and became one of mine, too. I was a little dissapointed that it wasn't shown this year.)

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I remember reading about this in the Baltimore Sun a few years ago and thinking it sounded quite cool (having grown in Maryland and gone to school in DC, but now being in Georgia, I try to live vicariously through what I'm missing) .. I just love Big Night, too, so I'm jealous