Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy New Year!

We did more than we usually do, and it was a heck of a lot of fun. I'm not one for crowds and the whole New Year's Eve thing - been there, done that, I'll leave it to the youngsters now. But we did want to have a nice dinner, and spend some time with friends, so out we went.

First, we got gussied up and went to dinner at Charleston. Now, I'm not Spamwise, but I do want to give you a run down of what I had and what it was like.

I had 'The Season' tasting menu, with wine pairings. $150. (Mrs. Stagg had 'The Sea'.)

Amuse Bouche
Green Lentil Soup with Gamebird Stock
Champagne, Pommery "Brut Royal" NV

It's like a spoonful of soup and 3 ounces of bubbly. What I found interesting is they were fantastic together.

First Course
Phesant and Rabbit Terrine with Torchon of Foie Gras, Roasted Walnuts
Vouvray Moellus "Le Mont" Gaston Huet 1997

My first Foie Gras. WOW. The wine with the food was like an explosion of flavor (all good).

Second Course
Grilled Hearts of Romaine with a Reggiano Tuile and Sweet Garlic
Trebbiano d'Abruzzo, Marram "Anima" 2004

Again, the wine and the salad were just perfect

Third Course
Pan Roasted Duck Breast with Root Vegatables, 50 year old Balsamico
Rioja, Valsacro 2001

Duck medium rare, again, the wine was perfect. Interestingly, neither the wine or the duck blew me away on their own, but together, fantastic.

Fourth Course
Frilled Lamb Rack Chop with Prot Wine Reduction, Pommes Puree, Black Truffle
Zinfandel, Surh Luchtel 2004

Again, outstanding. I loved both the lamb and the wine on their own.

Dessert
Chocolate Trio: Chololate Baked Alaska, Bloor Orange Tart, Chololate-Caramel Creme Brulee
Banyuls M Chapoutier 2004

Decadent.

I'm usually not particularly expirimental with my food - I'm a Ceasar Salad, Rare Tuna, Steak eating kinda guy. I rarely eat duck, and had never eaten rabbit or Foie Gras. Cindy Wolfe makes being a little experimental with food fun and nearly risk free, helping folks like me open up to new things.

9.5 out of 10.

Afterwards we came home, walked the dog, and went to K's house for a little more food and drink with friends. Then to Gecko's, where I ran into two old friends, folks I hadn't seen in years. We planned to either go back to K's or back home to see the fireworks at midnight, but stayed - we were just having to much fun with everyone else. The bar wasn't too crowded, yet lively enough to make it a heck of a lot of fun.

Off to my parents' today for some of mom's cookin' and football.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and now that you've had foie gras, you must try French Kisses...

prunes, soaked in Armangac and stuffed with foie gras.

I love foie.