Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Look who's coming to dinner

Obama says he's running for President.

From one perspective, I like that someone who is apparently not a career polititian is running for President. I'd rather see someone come out of industry who has no political background, but I doubt I'll see that in my liftetime.

However, from a political standpoint, I think this is a bad move for a number of reasons. He's going to lose. Yes, he's charismatic. He's smart. He's a regular guy. Whatever. He's not going to be able to get through the Democratic primary and win in a General Election. If he stays in the Senate for another 4-8 years, he'll have a chance to replace someone who will probably make our current President look spectacular. Further, he will have been able to build a resume of creating consensus (if that's possible), he'll have a bit more political credibility.


It also shows he's really not in this for us. He just wants to be President. If he's in it for us, he would be much more effective 'brining people together' as a leader in the Senate than as president.

No comments: