Sunday, November 4, 2007

Nelly's Echo

In a world where every time I turn on a radio, I'm attacked by the likes of Nickelback and Daughtry (oft I can't tell the two apart, much like you can't tell what dog dropped that pile you just stepped in), it is both encouraging and discouraging to know there are folks out there like Nelly's Echo.

Encouraging, because there are lots of people out there this good, and if you look hard enough, you can find them in your town. Discouraging because they are all playing in tiny bars that hold 50 people, when they could be selling millions of CDs and playing arenas, but for some reason we are all listening to Coldplay.

We saw them at the Austin Grill at the Can Company (not a place known for live original music - who knew?). Joined by our friend K, and our neighbors R and D, had a couple of beverages, but really focused on the guy playing.

Those of you who know me, know this is certainly not normally my cup of tea. However, I can see remarkable talent when it is presented to me, and this guy is the real deal. If this is your cup of tea, pick up his CD, and if you are local, catch a show.

Maybe he'll make it, and music will be better for all of us.

A Smalltimore aside: The bass player is married to the old guitar player for my brother's old band, Unprovoked Moose Attack, which has morphed into The Yellow. They reconnected with J buying a house.

No comments: