Monday, December 31, 2007

Billick Fired

Today, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti fired head coach Brian Billick.

Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season and less than a year after receiving a contract extension through 2010.

Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.

Only a few weeks ago, Billick proclaimed that he would return in 2008, but Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who does not speak to the media during the season, made no public statement to that effect.

"I just changed my mind," the owner told The Baltimore Sun on Monday. "I can't explain it to you. It's the toughest decision I've had to make."

Now, I'm not an NFL owner, but to me, this doesn't make any sense. They still have to pay him, and who else is out there looking for a job who can do it better? And I would think you would be able to explain it.

The only thing I think will work out is to promote Rex Ryan to head coach, and hire a young offensive coordinator.

Where ever Coach Billick ends up, I'll pull for him.

No comments: