Monday, March 31, 2008

Opening Day

In Baltimore, there's been a lot of discussion about Opening Day. The Orioles, even to the ever optimistic O's fan, will compete for 5th in the AL East. So why, in spite of 10 losing seasons, does Opening Day mean so much. The first game of the football season isn't a holiday.

Because it's the optimism of Spring.

I'm not a baseball fan. I couldn't care less what the Orioles do, and can't tell you who won the World Series (even though it excludes the Japanese and Cubans) last year. But hearing John Miller's voice when channel surfing means it's time for the weather to change. Time for weekends spent planting the new garden, sitting outside having a beer after dinner, driving with the top down.

I've always said Autumn is my favorite season. But this is my favorite time of year.

No comments: