Friday, August 8, 2008

16-15

Yes, I know it's just the preseason, but some thoughts on the Ravens game last night.

Boller looked decent. Compared to Smith and Flacco, he looked great. No doubt now he's starting against Cinci. There was some prognosticating that Flacco would take over the starting spot later in the year - after what I saw last night, I don't see how. He's a full season away from being anything more than the third QB.

And you know who he reminds me of? Kyle Boller. They need to groom this guy - he has the physical tools, but if they throw him in too early, he will fail, and they will have the same scenario they have now.

Defense looked outstanding. I'm very encouraged by the depth of the team, as well as the attitude. They look like winners. Likewise, depth at running back looks solid.

Offensive playcalling was very encouraging. Yes, I know it's preseason and all, but they were willing to mix it up a little bit. (It is also important to note the score should have been 19-15, but they went for it on 4th and a yard inside the 10, where clearly in a game that counts they kick a field goal to go up by 4.)

I'm not going to predict a playoff run based what was essentially a practice, but they did look good, and if nothing else, they should be fun to watch.

No comments: