Tuesday, January 4, 2005

Jaguar Woes

The story linked above shows the continuing slide into the abyss for one of the words most storied automakers.

My interest is cursory, I just happen to own a Jag. There are a couple of things I've noticed since Ford's involvement with the marque.

  • Shared platforms: The X-Type is a Ford Contour (no longer sold in the states), the S-Type is a Lincoln LS.
  • Sub par materials: Using Ford parts in a Jag is going to devalue the Jag, regardless of the quality of the parts.
  • Price vs. Performance: The S-Type competes with the likes of the BMW 5 series and the Mercedes E class. There isn't really any comparison, though.

Don't get me wrong - I love my S-Type. I think the design sets the car apart from the herd, and no other car says 'I'm successful' quite as well as the Jag does. But from a drivers standpoint (as well as a perceived value standpoint), it can't keep up with the Germans, and neither can the X-Type. The reason I have a Jag is because it didn't hold it's value as well as a comparable German on the used car market (for less money spent, I got a car that says more money spent - go figure).

They are relying on the X and S for revenue, with the truly wonderful XJ and XK lines, which really do compete with the Germans in their classes, representing what Jag is all about. Unfortunately, the X and S (especialy the X) are devaluing the brand.

Ford - you can't compete with BMW for the Yuppie money - why try?



No comments: