Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Goodbye, Blue

NYPD Blue comes to an end tonight. After 12 years of good stories, bad stories, great drama, too much melodrama, and one of the best characters to ever glow on a picture tube.

I've been a fan of the show since it aired in 1993, and I think I've seen every episode save for one this season (which I'm sure I'll get to see in syndication). There were seasons that were better than others, but overall, this groundbreaking show will go down in TV history second to only perhaps M*A*S*H.

Yeah, having a wife, son, and two partners die in 12 years is a little much. But Andy's base character, his struggles with addiction, his pure racism, well - he's real. A good heart, doing what he can with his struggles and baggage, to be a good person. You find yourself rooting for him, even when he's an insensitive jackass.

I agree, it's time to go, it's been a heck of a run. I hope they can tie up some loose ends with some characters who left the show, and as always, I'm rooting for Andy.

No comments: