Monday, June 20, 2005

Is F1 killing itself?

This weekend, at the US Grand Prix in Indianapolis, 14 cars boycotted the race because of tire issues. This is just the latest in a string of issues with F1 that is leading the world's top racing series into the CART/IRL abyss.

I'm a race fan. Not a crazy hooked on Speedvision 24/7 fan, but I'll pretty much watch anything with wheels race. I didn't even know the US GP was this weekend. I had no idea where it was on TV (if at all). Frankly, I think that's a much bigger issue wiht US racing fans.

How does something like this happen, though? How do you decide that tires are unsafe the weekend of a race? This isn't a new track. And the tire rules that didn't allow those teams to switch tires certainly don't make much sence.

It's no wonder they can't gain a US fan base, I guess. But I don't think it will be long before you see some of these ferrin divers in Cup cars.

No comments: